Xtreme FusionFall Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FusionFall Home Of Legends

HomeHomeGallerySearchMemberlistRegisterLog inXFF 13+
Welcome to the Xtreme FusionFall Forum, new members are always welcome. Surprised
Check out the Website:
                    Xtreme-FusionFall.yolasite.com
No real email is required to join. If you do use a fake email, make sure it's hard to guess to prevent hacking. A real email will allow you to retrieve your account in the possible event that you forget your password. Any questions are welcome. Very Happy
Gallery
The Photo-realistic Challenge: Water Empty
Social bookmarking

For 13 years of age and up.

We have our own skype group.
It is only for those that are in the +13 Confidential group.

FusionFall Fan Sites
free forum

free forum

free forum

free forum

free forum

free forum

free forum

free forum

free forum

Latest topics
» OpenFusion (FusionFall) Install Tutorial
The Photo-realistic Challenge: Water EmptyMon Feb 13, 2023 3:08 pm by Oli Zombieweasel

» Adventure Rock (CBBC) - Game similar to FusionFall
The Photo-realistic Challenge: Water EmptyMon Feb 13, 2023 3:06 pm by Oli Zombieweasel

» OpenFusion (FusionFall Server Demo)
The Photo-realistic Challenge: Water EmptySun Oct 09, 2022 1:59 am by Oli Zombieweasel

» Do we have a Discord?
The Photo-realistic Challenge: Water EmptyTue Jan 04, 2022 8:46 pm by supercody

» There are lies in here. And some artwork.
The Photo-realistic Challenge: Water EmptyThu Dec 30, 2021 11:08 am by Oli Zombieweasel

» Xtreme Facelift coming......eventually
The Photo-realistic Challenge: Water EmptyThu Dec 30, 2021 3:25 am by Tentegen

» Palette Pics
The Photo-realistic Challenge: Water EmptyFri Sep 18, 2020 5:11 am by BeccaNighteon

» Been a while huh?
The Photo-realistic Challenge: Water EmptyThu Sep 17, 2020 5:06 am by Tentegen

» Retro's Easter Event
The Photo-realistic Challenge: Water EmptyWed Nov 13, 2019 12:32 am by Oli Zombieweasel

Share | 

The Photo-realistic Challenge: Water

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: The Photo-realistic Challenge: Water   The Photo-realistic Challenge: Water EmptyMon Apr 22, 2013 10:08 pm

If you’re on this blog, I’m guessing you love video games. And you should, they’re awesome. But I’m also guessing your interest is deeper than the average “I buy Madden and CoD every year!” gamer. In this series of articles, I’m going to be going “under the hood,” so to speak, and writing about the challenges that game/ engine/ hardware developers face when making games, how they’ve addressed them over time, and what the future looks like. Today’s subject: water.

Back in the halcyon days of the N64/ 3DFX, we didn’t much think about water. The prevailing attitude was one of “holy ##, this is 3D! Crank up the Pearl Jam and let’s pull on Mario’s face!” And it shows: if you examine the water in these early games, they’re usually blue-tinted blocky areas that you can see through. In some games, jumping out of the water made a little splash sprite appear, but that was all the thought that was given to water.
The Photo-realistic Challenge: Water Mario-64-face-300x224
It’s a me, Mario–hey kid, stop-a that!

Eventually, though, we started to realize that water doesn’t look or act like this. The number of polygons on the screen was going up, the color depth of our video cards made the jump from 16 to 32 bit, and we started wanting more realistic water. Scientists had long since examined the properties of water, and computer engineers started to take an interest in water. Over a long period of time (The Voodoo Graphics PCi Card came out in 1996), video card engineers, API designers, and game developers have slowly addressed the problems with water rendering. But before getting into this, let’s try and understand the problems of water rendering before talking about the answers.

Experiment time! Get a glass and fill it halfway with water. Hold it up to a light. It should reflect that light, while still being translucent. Look very carefully at the line at the top of the water. You should notice that it is slightly bent upward along the side of the glass. This is called the capillary effect. Stick your finger in. The water level will rise (this is called displacement). Now pull it out rapidly. Water will come splashing out along with your finger. This is the capillary effect again, along with the surface tension of the water being splashed about. Now drip it onto a leaf. It will form a ball because the surface of the leaf is hydrophobic. On other surfaces, like a brick, it will soak right in. Drip two drops of water right next to one another on the counter. They should stick together. This is because water is polar, and therefore attracts itself. Now shake your glass vigorously (you did fill it halfway, didn’t you?). The water will slosh about due to a combination of surface tension and inertia. Because of the deformable nature of water (we call water a soft body), its reactions are very difficult to predict.

That was a glass of water and a high school physics-level study on the properties of water. What if you were observing an ocean? Then you would have to account for those basic properties of water when acted on by winds, the tides, and the 1.43 zillion things that live and move in an ocean (yes, there exactly 1.43 zillions lifeforms in each ocean. It’s just science, don’t question it). Kinda gives you an appreciation of the difficulty of realistic water modeling, doesn’t it?

The first (and easiest) problem dealt with was the addition of reflection. Compare water in The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time with Jet Moto. Reflection really helped! There were problems (the dynamic range of lighting in older models of DirectX/ OpenGL made the reflection of bright sources look bad), but it was a start. This reflection problem was fixed with the advent of high dynamic range rendering (HDRR). With HDRR, the lighting model used has been updated to allow for very bright lights. The result is water that doesn’t look “flat” when reflecting light. If your character is standing on the beach staring at the ocean on a sunny day, you will now be properly blinded like you deserve. Progress!

The Photo-realistic Challenge: Water Water05
Don’t let the emulator and fond memories fool you: Zelda never looked as good as this.

On the physics end of things, some games gave water a “ripple effect” (for an early example, consider Waverace 64; for a later example, see Morrowind), but it didn’t look right. Newer games have had water slosh about (consider Oblivion, apologies for the guy talking in the link), but it still didn’t look right. Some of the best “current-gen” (yes, I know your computer can do better. No, I don’t care.) examples of water behavior are Bioshock, Red Dead Redemption (skip to 2:00), and Skyrim. They beat the ## out of earlier efforts, but there are still problems. Realistic water was still a dream.

The future looks promising. Using a combination of hardware tessellation techniques, advanced physics models, particle effects, and HDRR, excellent water has been rendered. Consider Crysis 3 (running in DirectX 11 mode?your Xbox 360, PS3, or Wii U won’t look like this) or the NVidia Water Demo (DiRT 2 also uses this technique, but frankly I don’t think it looks very good). The PS4 and Super Xbox (whatever they’re calling it) should both be able to render water in this way, which means that the future is bright for us water lovers.

The Photo-realistic Challenge: Water Water-06-300x225
Pretty Water...

The Photo-realistic Challenge: Water Water07-1024x640
The future of water!

In closing, I feel it is appropriate to pay homage to Homer Simpson:

Hate Flanders.

-Thanks wololo for another great article Smile
Back to top Go down

Tech Support & MOD

Tech Support & MOD
Oli Zombieweasel
Oli Zombieweasel

FusionFall Name : Oli Zombieweasel
Level : 36
Male Posts : 13322
FF Location : Aionios

PostSubject: Re: The Photo-realistic Challenge: Water   The Photo-realistic Challenge: Water EmptyMon Apr 22, 2013 10:48 pm

The Water Temple from Ocarina of Time... considered to be the hardest temple in the game and is also the most hated by fans. To me, it wasn't really hard. Rather... repetitive. But then again, I used an emulator. Razz

I dunno about that water effect in what looks like OoT 3D. I think Twilight Princess had better water effects:

The Photo-realistic Challenge: Water Link-Swimming

Spoiler:

Then there's also that of Pikmin 3:

Spoiler:

Before you say anything about the Pikmin 3 picture, keep in mind that both the captains and the Pikmin are about an inch tall, so that's really a pond, rather than the sea. I love the water effect in that last picture, though.

The Photo-realistic Challenge: Water Happy_10
Back to top Go down
http://www.fusionfallhandt.wordpress.com

RETIRED Administrator

RETIRED Administrator
XLR8 147
XLR8 147

FusionFall Name : XLR8 147 + IRON 147
Male Posts : 5882
FF Location : Sector V [Future :D]

PostSubject: Re: The Photo-realistic Challenge: Water   The Photo-realistic Challenge: Water EmptyTue Apr 23, 2013 4:37 pm

As soon as I read 'photo-realistic'
The Photo-realistic Challenge: Water 3t0wky The Photo-realistic Challenge: Water 3147896512
Crysis 1 and Crysis Warhead are awesome.The Photo-realistic Challenge: Water 3952201249
Crysis 2 meh...I liked some aspects but the feel of the game and its gameplay
were fairly bad in my opinion. I always say this but, my opinion can change
so I'm just saying currently I don't like Crysis 2.
Also, some characters were annoying. The Photo-realistic Challenge: Water 3243382769 The Photo-realistic Challenge: Water 2842900923
Crysis 3, I haven't played yet.
In Crysis 2, the water was very realistic as well though.

Crysis 1 and Warhead were way way way way way WAY better. In every aspect
but the graphics MAYBE. But the aesthetics were better I think.
(Graphics = textures really. Aesthetics = the whole graphics package...the whole look.)
I guess you could put it like that.

The water in Crysis is amazing. On max settings, the water splashes in your face and stuff
and looks really realistic. The Photo-realistic Challenge: Water 201300138
The refractive detail is very impressive for games in general but even more so since
it was a 2007 game! The Photo-realistic Challenge: Water 3766210289
I still think Crysis and Warhead have the best graphics and/or aesthetics in video game history.
Back to top Go down
http://xtreme-fusionfall.yolasite.com https://www.youtube.com/xtremexdude

PostSubject: Re: The Photo-realistic Challenge: Water   The Photo-realistic Challenge: Water EmptyTue Apr 23, 2013 8:19 pm

Oh man i need to try crysis

@Oli never played zelda much wouldnt know alot bout the water Misery
Back to top Go down

Tech Support & MOD

Tech Support & MOD
Oli Zombieweasel
Oli Zombieweasel

PostSubject: Re: The Photo-realistic Challenge: Water   The Photo-realistic Challenge: Water EmptyTue Apr 23, 2013 8:25 pm

°«©РwŃź0Ŕ®»™ wrote:
@Oli never played zelda much wouldnt know alot bout the water Misery

Water's pretty much the same as every other game ever created. Except Mario's Wacky World, where you've got DEATH WATER!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Photo-realistic Challenge: Water   The Photo-realistic Challenge: Water EmptyTue Apr 23, 2013 10:11 pm

Oliver Zombieweasel wrote:
°«©РwŃź0Ŕ®»™ wrote:
@Oli never played zelda much wouldnt know alot bout the water The Photo-realistic Challenge: Water 1773918582

Water's pretty much the same as every other game ever created. Except Mario's Wacky World, where you've got DEATH WATER!
Death water? lol! Only mario Smile
Back to top Go down

Tech Support & MOD

Tech Support & MOD
Oli Zombieweasel
Oli Zombieweasel

PostSubject: Re: The Photo-realistic Challenge: Water   The Photo-realistic Challenge: Water EmptyTue Apr 23, 2013 10:17 pm

°«©РwŃź0Ŕ®»™ wrote:
Oliver Zombieweasel wrote:
°«©РwŃź0Ŕ®»™ wrote:
@Oli never played zelda much wouldnt know alot bout the water The Photo-realistic Challenge: Water 1773918582

Death water? lol! Only mario Smile

Yeah... I was hoping SOMEONE would get the ProtonJon reference. The death water also appears in Super Mario Sunshine. On everyone's least favourite Shine Sprite in Delfino Plaza.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Photo-realistic Challenge: Water   The Photo-realistic Challenge: Water EmptyTue Apr 23, 2013 10:20 pm

STill yet to play super mario sunshine rom.Imma download it today bounce
Back to top Go down

Zeroknight

Zeroknight
Zero Knight
Zero Knight

Level : 1000
Male Posts : 4671
FF Location : Rodeo

PostSubject: Re: The Photo-realistic Challenge: Water   The Photo-realistic Challenge: Water EmptyTue Apr 23, 2013 11:19 pm

I didnt read the entire thing because I was to intrested by op and oli's water pics
so beautiful..

The Photo-realistic Challenge: Water Tumblr_lwvzrhGAwH1qkukto
Back to top Go down

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Photo-realistic Challenge: Water   The Photo-realistic Challenge: Water Empty

Back to top Go down

The Photo-realistic Challenge: Water

View previous topic View next topic Back to top